More or less, we are all familiar with the harmful effects chemicals have on our overall health. And we know that they are found in all of the products we use on a daily bases.
Exposing ourselves and our environment to toxins has resulted in heavy pollutions and terminal diseases. Therefore, people are starting to raise awareness of the importance of cutting the chemicals out of their everyday lives.
The change should start with incorporating only clean and organic food and pure and natural cosmetic solutions. Here we will discuss the great differences between the two alternatives (synthetic and natural) of the most important and most used cosmetic products.
“Copyright: Unsplash/author: Heather Ford/ I License: CC0 Public Domain”
Natural and Organic Soap
Soap is the most recently used organic product by all genders and ages equally. This hygienic product is intended to effectively clean our hands while destroying germs and bad bacteria. Unfortunately, all those potent ingredients that can destroy the enemies we transport on our hands are also harmful to human health.
- Chemicals found in most of the synthetic soaps and their harmful effects are:
1. Parabens – a preservative that prevents the growth of the microbes. It can cause endocrine disruption, cancer, developmental toxicity.
2. Triclosan – antibacterial agent banned to use by the FDA. It accumulates in the body causing hormonal imbalances and organ toxicity.
3. Synthetic fragrances – listed under the name fragrances they are derived from very toxic chemicals. They are carcinogens, may disrupt the endocrine system, toxic to reproductive organs.
4. SLS (sodium laureth/lauryl sulfate) – increases the foaming power in soaps. It causes allergies and irritation of the skin, eyes, and lungs.
- Synthetic soaps are very harmful to human health and equally toxic for the animals and the environment.
Luckily, today we can choose products that are safe to use as they are made from alternative natural ingredients. Organic and natural soaps can be equally effective in deep cleaning as they are soft to our skin and safe for our health.
Here is an explanation of how is natural and organic soap made and the ingredients it contains:
1. When fatty acids (fats or oils) come into contact with alkali (or base) they create soap. And this is simply the base to all soaps.
2. Other added ingredients:
- Organic and essential oils
- Organic butter (shea butter, coconut butter)
- Glycerin – a natural byproduct of the saponification process
Natural and organic soap will nurture your skin. It is pure and safe to be used by children and people with sensitive skin and different skin conditions. Pure natural soaps are animal and environmentally friendly.
“Copyright: Unsplash/author: Allie Smith / I License: CC0 Public Domain”
Another cosmetic product that almost every person uses on a daily bases is the deodorant. As each and every one of us wants to deal effectively with the perspiration and the odors, we tend to use antiperspirants. But how do antiperspirants actually work?
Antiperspirants contain chemicals that have the ability to clog the skin pores and completely prevent the perspiration. Additionally, they have strong artificial fragrances and chemicals that are preventing and masking the odor.
Are they safe to use? Not at all!
Antiperspirants prevent the most important gland and skin function. Preventing the skin to breathe, release the toxins and control the body temperature all of which is very dangerous for our health. Moreover, the toxins and heavy chemicals found in the antiperspirants are harmful to humans, animals, and the environment.
- Toxins found in the synthetic deodorants and antiperspirants:
1. Parabens and Triclosan – reduce and prevent bacteria contamination. Harmful effects: discussed previously in the text.
2. Phthalates – plasticizer. Harmful effects: asthma, breast cancer, male fertility issue, and reproductive organ toxicity.
3. Aluminum – heavy metal is toxic to people and the environment. Harmful effects: breast cancer, body intoxication.
Natural deodorant is a product made by 100% safe, pure and natural ingredients. It has the ability to prevent and mask the odors but does not prevent the process of perspiration. Your skin will maintain its proper function while you feel safe and refreshed. Moreover, it is free from toxins and chemicals that will harm your environment and your overall health.
- Common ingredients found in natural and organic ingredient are:
1. Natural Mineral salts
2. Baking soda
3. Essential and organic oils
4. Organic butter
5. Organic herbs and plants
6. Aloe Vera gel
7. Seaweed extracts
Apart from the awesome performance and set of ingredients natural deodorant will never leave a white stain on your favorite piece of clothing!