Despite the widespread negative effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on businesses, industries, and households, there has been a noticeable increase in home improvement activities during the crisis period. Data show that some 57 percent of homeowners did some improvements on their properties, while the businesses dealing with materials for these home improvements posted a 22.6 percent year-over-year rise in sales.
Concerning the COVID-19 pandemic and the home improvement activity increase, homeowners realized the hazardous effects of indoor air pollution and the need to make one’s home as sanitary and conducive for human occupation as possible, hence the need for certain upgrades. The increased susceptibility of home occupants to the virus as a result of poor air quality inside their homes prompted them to make changes that would address such vulnerability.
Meanwhile, if you’re looking for inspirations on what specific upgrades to do on your home, here are five home improvement ideas that you should consider come 2021:
- A sturdy perimeter fence. Just because there’s a pandemic doesn’t mean that lawless individuals would stop at their activities. This why you should consider having a strong perimeter fence to protect against intruders. For example, you should upgrade to custom-built aluminum fencing that can offer you a high level of security against intrusions. Aluminum is a lightweight fencing material that can be made to withstand tremendous horizontal force resistance and fashioned aesthetically following a homeowner’s design specifications. There are other fencing options out there such as wrought iron and steel, so just pick one that best suits your budget and needs.
- New security and surveillance system. Not all home security and surveillance systems are created equal, which is why you should go for the one with the best features if your budget is on the higher end of the spectrum. With high-end home security and surveillance system, you can enjoy 24/7 surveillance coverage even when you’re miles away since there are plenty of surveillance systems with remote access and viewing capabilities.
- Home office setup. The pandemic gave rise to the work-from-home setups for companies and educational institutions as a way of protecting their employees and teacher/students while continuing their daily operations and lessons, respectively. If you have the budget to spare, then a home office should be an excellent upgrade to have for 2021. If you have an existing room or any available space, all you need is a nice computer chair and table, a stable and fast internet connection, a desktop or laptop, and other essential remote work items.
- Outdoor improvements. Side by side with the work-from-home boom is the rise in home gardening activities in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. This is because people spend extended time at home due to lockdowns and their personal decisions to just avoid large crowds in fear of contracting the deadly virus. Gardening and being in the company of plants and trees has proven mental health benefits so improving your outdoors with a small backyard garden should be a great investment in the coming year.
- Sanitary facilities and hands-free appliances. Since COVID-19 is easily transmitted by touching surfaces, you should have facilities or items that would enhance the sanitary conditions inside your home. These include hands-free and touchless alcohol or hand sanitizer dispensers, as well as UV light disinfectant and air purifiers. You should consider buying voice-activated appliances to minimize the need to physically operate your home appliances so the chances of virus transmission are reduced.
With these awesome home improvement ideas, your 2021 should be a better year for your entire family. It would be a perfect way to undo the negative experiences you had in 2020 and a way to move forward towards a better quality of life.